Friday, June 1, 2012

Photo Shoot

You may or may not remember me mentioning that I am singing in a newly formed little women's group.  We call ourselves "Witness."  Our goals mostly revolve around doing performances for and sharing our testimonies with church activities...Relief Society and Young Women events, firesides, etc.  But this summer we have branched out a bit.  Three of the five of us auditioned for a talent contest in a neighboring town.  Of 60 auditionees, we were one of the 15 performers chosen to sing in the official talent show.

All five of us are also scheduled to perform at Cherry Hill next month as part of their weekend summer concert series.  Rather than just one song, we are putting together an hour long concert...which, as you can imagine, has kept us very busy over the past weeks.  Along with choosing and practicing songs we are also busily discussing "costume" choices, choreography/staging and "segues"...as we call them....the little bit of talking we do in between each song to interact with the audience and connect them from one song to the next.

It's a lot of work.  But these 4 other women have lifted me, both spiritually and mentally, in ways that I didn't expect.  They are good, they are kind, they are talented and they honestly care about me.  They allow me to be myself...whether I am giddy and excited or anxious and worried or grumpy and hormonal.  They don't judge me.  I feel safe airing my opinions....even if it is contrary to what someone else's opinion might be.  I can't believe how much fun it is to truly collaborate on a song with these women....taking a solo and writing in harmony parts and making the number uniquely our own.  I sing soprano on some numbers, on others I sing alto, sometimes tenor, sometimes a high descant...all of us taking turns working different parts.  It's a lot of fun. 

Photographs were required by the powers that be at both the talent show and Cherry Hill.  Here is a sampling of what we got.   

-Sarah    

Photography credits go to Kami's brother....the amazingly talented Brady Burrell. 
Thanks, Brady!! You are awesome!       http://bradyburrell.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment